Learn More About Plastic
The EPA estimates 500 billion - one trillion plastic bags are used worldwide every year.
A typical school/work lunch contains 3-4 plastic sandwich bags each day amounting to upwards of 1,000 each year for one person. These bags will all be around long after we are gone!
- Plastic bags make up over 10% of debris found on US Coastlines.
- Every plastic bag we use will be around for centuries, long after our children outgrow their lunchboxes.
- Each plastic bag takes over 1,000 years to break down. Plastic bags do not biodegrade, they photodegrade whereby over time they breakdown into smaller, more toxic petropolymers.
- Less than 1% of plastic bags are recycled. It costs more to recycle a plastic bag than to produce a new one.
- By taxing plastic bags with a “plastax” many countries and some US cities are reducing consumption. Ireland has decreased their reliance on plastic bags by 90% after imposing these new taxes!
- Purchasing alternatives to plastic bags. Each ReUsies™ has the potential to eliminate hundreds of plastic bags.
Pack It, Snack It, ReUse It... Thanks for doing your part!